I know, I know not another salad, right?
But this one…this one is different.
It is so colorful (which means lots of nutrients) and contains a unique mix of veggies that you probably are not eating in your normal, boring, everyday lunch salad. While it does involve some cooking, everything comes together very quickly as you can prepare everything else while your sweet potatoes roast.
This salad is fabulous for weekly meal prep. Just mix together the salad ingredients, but keep the dressing on the side and add before eating.
To increase the protein content, you can top it with some grilled or rotisserie chicken. You could also eat it with tortilla chips like nachos to help satisfy that urge for salt and crunch.
For parents with toddlers, I love this recipe because you can serve it to them with the ingredients separated, and more of one thing less of another, to help encourage them to explore new foods.
Original recipe credit to: https://www.budgetbytes.com/roasted-sweet-potato-rainbow-salad-lime-crema/
1.5 lbs Sweet potato
1 lb Frozen corn, thawed
1 15oz can black beans
1 red bell pepper
¼ bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
2-3 Tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp onion powder
Salt to taste
Lime Crema Dressing
8 sour cream
1 fresh lime or 2 TBSP lime juice
1 tsp minced garlic
- Take your frozen corn out to begin thawing.
- First, prepare your roasted sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel your sweet potatoes then dice them into small (1/2 inch cubes). Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, cumin, onion powder, and a pinch of salt. Toss until they are well coated with the oil and spices. Roast until they are soft and slightly browned on the edges, about 30 mins. Remove from oven and let cool.
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the corn. Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot add 1-2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the surface. Add thawed corn. Let it cook until it is blackened and charred on the edges. You will have to avoid stirring too much! Remove from heat and let cool.
- Finely dice the red bell pepper. Rinse and drain the black beans.
- Combine roasted sweet potatoes, blackened corn, bell pepper, black beans, and chopped cilantro into a large bowl. Toss to combine. Add dressing of your choice just before serving. I have used a lime vinaigrette or lima crema (recipe below).
- In a small bowl add sour cream, salt, minced garlic, and 2 Tbsp of lime juice.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust the lime juice as desired.
- Refrigerate the crema until ready to use.