This was the first time I made this Chicken & Broccoli Casserole recipe and it came out SO GOOD! It has been very convenient to have on hand this week to quickly heat up for either lunch or dinner. I have even been able to get my toddler to eat some #winning.
You might be thinking, “this doesn’t sound super healthy…look at all that cheese!” However, “healthy” is relative. Is it as low-calorie as straight-up baked chicken and roasted broccoli? Well, no.
Is it better than swinging through the Wendy’s drive-through because you had nothing planned for dinner? I would say so!
This casserole has lots of protein (especially when you use protein pasta), healthy fats, and two different veggies. For something to support your weight loss efforts and please a family, I think that’s pretty darn good!
8 ounces uncooked pasta* (I used protein pasta)
1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
2 Tbsp olive oil
8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 cups diced (or shredded) cooked chicken
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Cook pasta in a large stockpot of generously-salted boiling water. About 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli to the boiling pasta water and stir until combined. Drain both the pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are cooked through.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the mushroom mixture and stir until combined. Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone. Add in the milk, Dijon, onion powder, salt and pepper and stir until combined. Continue cooking the sauce until it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it is combined.
- In a large 9 x 13-inch baking dish, combine the cooked pasta, broccoli, mushroom sauce and chicken. Toss until combined. Smooth the casserole out into an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Then remove pan from the oven, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 5-10 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Serve warm!